Thursday, April 14, 2011

Movies as a guide to storytelling

How many of you have read or tried to write a screenplay?


I did, or do. Depending on how broadly you want to consider the timeframe. I have a couple of projects I would like to complete and several other ideas that are percolating in my brain drip, drip, dripping into the pot that will make up an actual idea.

The reason I bring this up, is that trying to write a screenplay cemented a couple of very important skills in my head. Dialogue and scene set-up.

Find a copy of a screenplay for one of your favorite movies, the screenplay is just as impressive as the film. You can see it come to life on the page.

Wouldn’t it be great if all your book ideas were not only published but also made into movies? I am sure we like to dream it so. One way to do that is make sure you have a very visual friendly writing style.

Writing screenplays made me realize just how important good scene details can be to setting your writing apart. There are writers who leave a lot of the physical details to the audience to decide both in terms of background and physical action. They focus on emotions, scenery, and dialogue. I enjoy those things too I just find that even trying to write ten pages of a screenplay will make a big difference in how you approach your writing.

Visualize.

No comments:

Post a Comment