Monday, April 11, 2011

Earthling Hero

First off, I apologize for the delay.


I have been debating with myself a lot on both the utility and purpose behind doing reviews. I also wasn’t sure what kind of methodology I wanted to use in judging them.

The long and short of it is this – I want to spread the word about books people should read. I don’t want to hate on an author I don’t like because someone else may find a book very fulfilling.

Now let me actually get to the meat of the review.

I thoroughly enjoyed Anita’s book. I thought it was smart and funny, with a male middle grade protagonist that smart boys can identify with.

I like the personal touches that shout Anita to me, like the tortilla making scene. I thought that bad guys were the right combination of threatening and bumbling that enable the good folks to prevail.

On a technical note the spacing on my nook was kind of wonky, but this is something I have heard a lot about and seen before. Natasha Fondren, author and ebook coder, talks about this quite a bit on her blog. Apparently this is a common problem with ebooks and has to do with the way most programs code it instead of just hand coding it like she does.

Besides not being long enough for me (since I am an epic fantasy/ sci-fi fan) my only thought was that sometimes it wasn’t over the top enough to me. Meaning there were passages that felt more serious and adult and then would fall back to a middle grade humor. I say go for the gusto. I think if the writing and plot are smart it will shine.

Anita is a good author with solid prose and a great grasp of characterization. I hope she continues to publish or epublish her books so I can keep up with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment