Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Lesson One

Life is...full of new beginnings.

The old adage we have here in Missouri about the weather is as true for life over all. If you don't like it, stick around, it will change.

This beginning is like many of the ones that have gone before, but not without merit for that, a way to reinvent. Before I get ahead of myself let me tell you why you are here.

You are sometimes lost, lonely, despairing, confused, bored, or any other endless array of emotions both dismal and hurtful. I once dreamed that I was a superhero. Want to know what my superpower was?

Me too. I don't remember. I know I could fly, but really who can't? But what I do remember is that I helped people and that was really why I woke up with a smile. I do not claim to be a counselor, priest, teacher, or yogi, but what I can do is listen, think, and share.

So if you will pardon the arrogance of it I think I can help, but not because I know better. I think I can help because I have been there. I have been homeless 3 times in my life, near bankrupt more than once, have more degrees than I get any use of, been alone, been in an abusive relationship...etc.etc. If you want all the sordid details you will need to stick around.

Back to today's lesson though.

Scarlett said, "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."

This is sound advice, and do you know why?

That's right, lesson number one - life changes. Let it.

Don't always worry about making all the changes today, sorting out all the problems, paying all the bills, finding the right lover, friend, or job. Let it go for today and let yourself fly off in a dream to save the world.

I am not saying put it off forever, but when you find yourself worrying incessantly over something ask yourself a simple question - Can I do something about that now?

If the answer is no - simple - then picture a stop sign, listen to some music, watch a movie, or sleep and dream to fight another day. Not every battle is won by rushing in.

There are people hemming and hawing and saying yes, well maybe there is something I could do, but what if I don't want to?

That's okay.

You thought I was going to tell you, "Bad reader. No cookie!" didn't you?

I don't believe in that. If you really don't have the energy to do it then don't. Don't punish yourself for not being perfect - no one is. But after you take a day, week, month - come back to it.

It took me 26 years before I really worked up the energy to lose the weight I had been promising myself I'd lose and I'm still not done.

Sometimes you need to wait for the right alignment of motivation, will, and hope to break through.

So smile, take a deep breath, and let the changes life brings roll past you.

I know you can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment